Fort Moultrie is a series of fortifications on Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina, built to protect the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The first fort, formerly named Fort Sullivan, built of palmetto logs, inspired the flag and nickname of South Carolina, as “The Palmetto State”. The fort was renamed for the U.S. patriot commander in the Battle of Sullivan’s Island, General William Moultrie. During British occupation, in 1780–1782, the fort was known as Fort Abuthnot. Fort Moultrie is the only area of the National Park System where the entire 171-year history of American seacoast defense (1776–1947) can be traced. For more information about the Fort Moultrie of 1860, including 3D models and animation, visit Battlefields in Motion.